The History of Ft Smallwood Park Historical (HM1UVN) Location: Pasadena, MD 21122 Anne Arundel County Buy Maryland State flags at Flagstore.com! From 1896 to 1928, it was an Endicott Period Coastal Fort built during the Spanish–American War era along with other outer harbor defenses at Fort Howard on North Point in southeastern Baltimore County and Fort Armistead at Hawkins Point on the Baltimore City-Anne Arundel County Line of 1919. History. Is the Site open to the Public? : Living History: No Tours: They just started a history tour of the park grounds Museum Shop: No It is located on Rock Point at the Patapsco River entrance opposite from Fort Howard. During the first few years of the park's existence, visitors took a steamer to Fort Smallwood Park. Fort Smallwood Park in 2008 The older pier was destroyed in 2003 by Hurricane Isabel, and replaced with this smaller one for fishing and crabbing. Its location on a north pointing promontory, makes it one of the prime raptor migration bottlenecks in the mid-Atlantic region during the northward spring migration. History. Country: United States of America Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com! Fort Smallwood Park is a recreational urban park located on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the Patapsco River, about 11 miles south of Baltimore. Fort Smallwood Park is a county park in northeastern Anne Arundel County near Riviera Beach and Pasadena, Maryland.It is located on the outer Patapsco River as it meets the Chesapeake Bay. Today, visitors can enjoy the park's recreational amenities that include a 380-foot fishing pier, children’s playground, historic gun battery and barracks, walking trails, beaches, pond and volleyball courts. Fort Smallwood Park's recreational amenities include a 380-foot fishing pier, children's playground, historic gun battery and barracks, walking trails, beaches, pond, and volleyball courts. N 39° 9.742', W 76° 29.075' Fort Smallwood Park Fort Smallwood Park is a county park in northeastern Anne Arundel County near Riviera Beach and Pasadena, Maryland, United States. The fishing pier was dedicated on September 19, 2009, and named for Bill Burton, a long-time Baltimore Sun outdoorsman/reporter and columnist. : Yes Dates and Hours of Operation: 8:00 to 6:30 PM daily. Current Site Name: Fort Smallwood Park. His restored plantation house, called Smallwood's “Retreat,” is located on park grounds. Fort Name: Fort Smallwood. Fort Smallwood Park Fort Smallwood was part of the sea coast defense built in the late 1880's and was in use from 1890 until 1927. It is located on the outer Patapsco River as it meets the Chesapeake Bay. Batteries include Battery Hartshorne (1900 - 1927), and Battery Sykes (1905 - 1927), which has been destroyed. What type of programs are offered at the Site? Although the park is still owned by Baltimore City, Anne Arundel County took over operations of the park in 2006 and swimming is no longer permitted at the park. Created in 1957, Smallwood State Park takes its name from General William Smallwood, a major general who served in the Continental Army during the American War of Independence and, later, served as the 4 th Governor of Maryland. Date of Visit: 14 Oct 2006. An Endicott period fort named in honor of Major General William Smallwood of the Continental Army, and later the governor of Maryland in 1785. Site Use: Park.